University to roll out new travel and expense system in fiscal year 2020
Virginia Tech will begin rolling out the new Chrome River Travel Expense System in August 2019. Chrome River will take the place of the current Banner TEM system and provide functionality for Virginia Tech to automate the P-Card approval and reconciliation processes. The Controller's Office will begin the rollout of the new travel system with a pilot group of departments in early August 2019 and then add additional groupings of senior management areas at the beginning of Septemeber, October, and November. The P-Card automation will not occur until all department have been converted to Chrome River.
Virginia Tech has successfully completed the pilot phase of Chrome River. The first of three groups is now processing travel reimbursements and preapprovals in Chrome River. The project is on task to be released to the next groups in October and November. The P-Card automation process will roll out to the entire campus on November 16th.
Listed below are the pilot departments and the groupings of the departments\senior management areas along with the date the area will transition to Chrome River.
|Group||Go Live Date||Senior Management Areas|
|Pilot||August 5, 2019||
|1||Semptember 3, 2019||
|2||October 1, 2019||
|3||November 1, 2019||
* Travel card transactions are live in Chrome River
|Final||November 16, 2019||
- Chrome River has more compliance rules that are built into the system on the front end which will reduce returned expense reports. For example:
- Lodging justification is required
- Chrome River will prompt the user that a receipt is required and hasn’t been attached
- Chrome River will prompt the user if the per diem rates for lodging or food are exceeded
- Chrome River has more advanced reporting and analytic capabilities.
- Ability to email receipt to the users profile.
- Modern user-interface
- Mobile platform which allows the same user experience across all devices
- Google Maps which will allow accurate mileage reimbursement to the traveler
- Account Code logic built in behind the expenses
If you already have a travel authorization (TA) in the TEM system at the time you transition to Chrome River, you will create the related expense report (TR) in the TEM system. If you need to create a new TA or TR that does not have an associated TA, those transactions would be created in Chrome River.
Non-Employees/Non-Virginia Tech Students and Virginia Tech Students cannot access Chrome River as only Virginia Tech Employees have profiles/dashboards within Chrome River.
- Employee: All employees (with the exception of student employees) can login to Chrome River to process their own pre-approval and/or travel reimbursement. All employees may also have an assigned delegate process their pre-approval and/or travel reimbursements on the traveler’s profile/dashboard.
- VT Student Reimbursements: While student information exists in Chrome River, students do not have profiles/dashboards or access to complete their own travel reimbursements in Chrome River. An employee must complete the pre-approval and/or travel reimbursement on their behalf.
- Non-Employee/Non-Virginia Tech Student: These individuals are not affiliated with Virginia Tech but are guests of the university which includes speakers, interview candidates, etc. Departments can submit request to create a new vendor for these types of situations on the Controller’s Office website. Link will be coming soon!
Face-to-face training sessions will be offered to the groupings as they transition. For example, if senior management areas A, B, and C are converting to Chrome River at the beginning of September, face-to-face training will be scheduled for those areas in the second half of August. We will also provide training opportunities through Zoom for individuals who cannot attend the face-to-face sessions. In addition, we will offer training handouts, online training, and job aids.